Monday 1 April 2013

The Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Kurt Cobain, Hidden poetry and Art

In my lifetime it's never been cool or trendy to like poetry. In fact as a teenager I probably hid my love of poetry underneath my love of Kurt Cobain. Looking back it seems ridiculous, but nobody my age wanted to look like a) a nerd b) a geek c) a dweep. (By the way all of these things are now cool and Topshop has the T-shirts to prove it.)

How things have changed. It may still be a social faux-pas to speak poetry in public, but I'm using Coleridge to inspire the new collection. And when I think about it, it's really not that different to using Nirvana. Also all the best people I know where nerds, geeks and dweebs once, so bring it on.


Ali


Samuel Taylor Coleridge, written in 1797–98

(Excerpt) 
 Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down, 
 'Twas sad as sad could be;   
And we did speak only to break  
  The silence of the sea!      

All in a hot and copper sky, 
 The bloody Sun, at noon,  
  Right up above the mast did stand,   
No bigger than the Moon.    
  Day after day, day after day, 

 We stuck, nor breath nor motion;  
  As idle as a painted ship  
  Upon a painted ocean.   

 Water, water, everywhere,  
  And all the boards did shrink; 
 Water, water, everywhere,   
Nor any drop to drink.